Not just are there any 5 kinds of essay questions in academic IELTS but you will find 3 kinds of Advantage Disadvantage essays
Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?
Be sure you analyse the question well and then paraphrase it in the introduction. This kind of question asks in regards to the advantages and disadvantages and an important word here is “ outweigh“. The question asks if advantages are stronger than the disadvantages which means you have to here give your opinion.
Some students just come up with the benefits only but this might be a wrong approach and you could lose marks. The essay needs to have balance. The initial body paragraph could be about the upside therefore the second body paragraph can be about the downsides with your opinion through the entire essay that is whole.
Lots of students fail to give their opinion in this type of essay, or maybe they simply give their opinion briefly when you look at the conclusion. Your role should be clear throughout the essay.
1. Analyse the question well paraphrase it then. Write your opinion into the thesis statement. 2. Make sure you state your opinion when you look at the introduction, main body as well as the conclusion. 3. Give specific examples through the entire essay but be mindful of giving an excessive amount of information. Ensure that it stays simple and overly do not complicate it. 4. Make sure the essay is balanced, not only currently talking about advantages only.
Here are 2 structures that are possible this particular task:
Note: Structures are simply guidelines to help you plan out your essay, there’s absolutely no special magic structure that can allow you to get a Band 7, there are lots of approaches to structure an essay.
Many people genuinely believe that consumption tax on food products is a way that is good raise revenue when it comes to government.
Discuss the benefits and drawbacks for this policy
This sort of essay will not ask for the opinion, it really is similar to a discussion essay you can see that the question does not ask : Do you think…? or Do you agree or disagree… so you need to write about pros and cons,? / What is your opinion ? And this is not asking a direct opinion.
First analyse the question and paraphrase it then. The essay has to be well balanced just like in example 1 with explanations about how precisely its an edge or disadvantage. Don’t just talk about advantages, give both relative sides in the essay. In conclusion is merely a summary of the points which you manufactured in your body paragraphs.
1. Analyse the question well paraphrase it then. 2. Give one example of the advantages in main body paragraph 1, after that give an example of the disadvantages in main body paragraph 2. 3. Do not give your personal opinion due to the fact question will not ask for it. 4. Give good examples through the entire essay but be careful of giving too much information. Ensure that it it is simple, be careful about giving examples that are too many. 5. make certain the essay is balanced, not only writing about advantages only.
Listed here is a good structure for this type of task:
These days with advances in technology increasing numbers of people are working at home.
Talk about the advantages and disadvantages of this and provide your own opinion
This essay type is quite comparable to example 1, here you need to give your opinion and discuss the advantages and disadvantages, the difference that is main to example 1 is the fact that it does not mention the word outweigh. The main thing to watch out for may be the words Discuss and Give your personal opinion. Similar to in example 1 you will need to paraphrase the question, give a approach that is balanced the key body paragraphs and present your opinion when you look at the introduction and again within the conclusion.
The examiner needs to see your opinion for the whole essay.
1. Analyse the question well then paraphrase it. 2. Give one example of the benefits in main body paragraph 1, after that provide one example of this disadvantages in main body paragraph 2. 3. Make sure you state your opinion when you look at the introduction, main body additionally the conclusion. 4. Give specific examples when you look at the essay but be mindful of giving information that is too much. Keep it simple. 5. make certain the essay is balanced, not merely currently talking about advantages only.
What structure do I need to use?
Structures are only ideas to help you plan out your essay , there’s absolutely no special magic structure that may get you a high score. I would suggest 2 body paragraphs for this sort of essay but you can use 3 body that is main if you want, a maximum of that.
- In main body paragraph 1 you are able to talk about an edge and explain it further, always remember to give a good example of the benefit. If at all possible come up with www.custom-writings.net the results for the advantage. Main body 2 is the same, come up with one disadvantage with examples and details.
- You need to give your opinion into the introduction if the question asks for the opinion. You are able to make use of the main body paragraphs to back your opinion up. You need to rephrase your view within the conclusion also.
A key point to keep in mind. Try not to give way too many examples or you could go off track, stick to one advantage plus one disadvantage and write about those. You haven’t got time to go into an excessive amount of detail or into tangents, don’t try to impress the examiner with too much information.
Plan your essay well, set aside ten full minutes planning time, think of at the least one supporting point for your topic sentence in each body paragraph that is main.